Summer is right around the corner, which means hot days, summer vacations, and family gatherings; however, it also may mean more burglaries. In fact, a burglary occurs once every 30 seconds in the U.S., with the majority of those occurring during the months of July and August. Burglars look for homes with easy access and you need to be aware your home could be next. Many home break-ins can be prevented if you know basic ways to burglar proof your home this summer and all year long.
It Only Takes 10 Minutes to Burglarize Your Home
Did you know that a burglar can break in and steal everything they want and get out within 10 minutes? Burglars seek out homes that have easy access where they can get in and out without much attention. In fact, the time period you are most likely to get victimized is between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm, when most people are not home. Knowing these statistics should be an eye opener for you, as a homeowner. Follow these common tips to keep your home safe, especially while you are away this summer.
- Install a home security system to deter potential burglars. The last thing that intruders want is an alarm going off to alert those around.
- Prune tall shrubs and trees that block the entry to your home. Burglars look for homes with landscaping that can hide their entry.
- When traveling or out of town, either cut off your mail and newspaper or ask a neighbor to collect it. Nothing screams you are out of town more than newspapers and mail piling up.
- Use timers on lights and television to make it appear someone is home.
- Make sure your blinds are closed so potential burglars can’t easily survey your personal possessions or the layout of your home.
- Leave your AC unit on while you are gone. If someone comes by your home on a scorching day and your compressor isn’t on, it may indicate you are away from your home.
- Install high-quality doors at your entry ways which makes it more difficult to kick down.
- Keep all doors and windows locked. This may seem like a no-brainer, but you may be surprised how many burglars simply come in through open doors and windows.
- Let your neighbors know when you are away so they can keep an eye out for suspicious people or activity around your home.
More people are already planning their vacation. If you are one of them or just want to burglar proof your home during times you are working or away, be sure to follow these guidelines. Don’t be another victim! Take precautions today so you can worry less on that vacation. If you have any other questions on how to keep your home from being burglarized, contact us TODAY at 828-464-2643.